To provide switchboard services for the effective operations of the VA Hospital its Organization and Out Patient Clinics.
- Must be able to speak and understand English as a primary language with a high level of comprehension.
- Able to read and write and understand verbal & written instructions.
- Must operate and/or monitor an electronic telephone attendant console, a personal computer, radio paging system, 2-way radio, public address system and other associated equipment.
- Must perform information operator work, which requires extensive knowledge of the organization and operation of the medical center.
- Ability to meet and deal with people from a variety of backgrounds with varying levels of understanding.
- Ability to work under pressure and stressful conditions
- Ability to work with others
- Ability to adapt to changing work conditions
- Must have pleasant attitude toward staff and guests
- Must follow all procedure guides and hospital policies
- Must be trained and have the ability to handle emergency calls, medical emergencies, fire procedures, control groups, bomb threats, knowledge of the security alarms, disaster plan, etc.
- Each operator on each shift keeps logs of all these incidents on a daily basis.
- Must be able to assume the responsibility for placing a variety of special long distance calls over varied circuits or routings.
- Under no circumstances will an operator leave the switchboard area unattended or unsecured.
- If his/her relief fails to report for duty as scheduled, he/she must stay and provide coverage until properly relieved by another person qualified to perform services under this agreement.
- Must have knowledge of the Medical Center, its organizations and its outpatient's clinic.
- Must be able to work independently, carrying out recurring duties.
- Must have the ability to problem solve and make decisions in emergency situations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
AGI is a Federal contractor with Ability One Contracts. Ability One Contracts require a high representation of Veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Alabama Goodwill Industries (AGI) is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to creating a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.